Which One Will You Try This Week?
There’s this quote that I love…
– Oriah Mountain Dreamer
It summarizes everything right and necessary about letting go—about the power of surrendering.
But people don’t just struggle with letting go of the positive things in their life. Counterintuitive as it may sound, many of us have a hard time letting go of suffering too. Painful as it may be, some people are downright attached to their burdens—attached to living in past wounds or future anxiety.
In other words: the exact opposite of living in the present moment.
When it comes to mindfulness, you cannot grit your teeth trying to live in the present, nor can you will your way into awareness and awakening. Accessing present moment freedom requires two things: flexibility of attention and receptivity of intention, allowing for present moment awareness while not worrying about what’s coming next. You must set the intention to be receptive—to remain open to whatever comes.
It’s letting go of what is while accepting what’s next.
When you’re in that space, you’re present. You’ve surrendered to the universe and opened yourself up to any and every possibility. The good news is, we all can achieve that freedom. But we can’t access it through willpower alone.
One of the ways you can cultivate presence and begin to write a new narrative for your life is by asking yourself the kinds of deep questions you’re probably not going to think of on your own, as you’re just living your daily, pattern-filled life. The 12 questions below are designed to take you off autopilot and put you in the present moment, igniting awareness and giving you the space to experience wonder.
Each of the 12 questions to guide you to the present moment contains a pause to connect with yourself and your thinking and start developing familiarity and comfort with the unknown. They open the door to introducing new thoughts into your mind and creating new beliefs on a conscious level.
Ready to give it a try?
Check out these 12 questions to guide you to the present moment:
- Will this choice propel me toward an inspiring future, or will it keep me stuck in the past?
- Will this choice bring me long-term fulfillment, or will it bring me short-term gratification?
- Am I standing in my power, or am I trying to please another?
- Am I looking for what’s right, or am I looking for what’s wrong?
- Will this choice add to my life force, or will it rob me of my energy?
- Will I use this situation as a catalyst to grow and evolve, or will I use it to beat myself up?
- Does this choice empower me, or does it disempower me?
- Is this an act of self-love, or is it an act of self-sabotage?
- Is this an act of faith or fear?
- Am I choosing to act from my higher self, or am I acting from my ego?
- What am I forcing to happen here?
- What wants to be created through me?
Seems simple enough, right? But for these questions to work effectively, the key is to sit with them in the space of meditation or mindfulness, allowing them to drop deeper into your subconscious. At first, you’ll have to ask yourself the questions deliberately. But soon enough, you’ll find yourself facing a particular situation when suddenly you’ll hear a little voice in your head asking: is this an act of faith or fear? Am I choosing to act from my higher self, or am I acting from my ego?
Just like that, you’ll find yourself returning to the present moment. That’s where your life starts to change.
Want to learn more? There’s a book for that! Click here to take the first step towards greater awakening, awareness, self-love, and personal transformation.
If you enjoy reading Shut Up & Sit, then you’ll love receiving weekly love letters from Yedda! Each week you’ll get stories, wisdom tools, and mini doses of mindfulness delivered straight to your inbox. Plus, you’ll be the first to know about upcoming events, workshops, new products, and more.